Monday, November 11, 2019

Monday - Guanacaste Hangin' Out with some Body Surfing

Beautiful sunny day, hot and humid right from the get go! First things first, I hiked down to the beach to find out how difficult it might for us old people. Its not too bad, although I can imagine there could be accidents. There concrete steps going down the hill, a bit irregular and no hand railings. Once on the road below, one has to walk single file about 1/4 mile and over a one lane bridge to get to the beach. Meanwhile, the locals are speeding by in old pick up trucks and motorbikes.

Once down to the beach, its is spectacular! Beautiful sand, warm water, nice waves. I went back up the hill to meet Sam for breakfast before we both went back down to the beach. Sam was a trooper navigating those treacherous steps!

We could easily have spent the rest of the day there, but it was clear that sunburn might be a real issue. I do not recall the last time I went body surfing, but it was awesome! We hiked back up the hill for a light lunch at the hotel restaurant, then spent the afternoon by the pool reading our books until dinner time.

A couple of good wildlife sightings today. I got a fairly good photo of a Boat-billed Flycatcher with its bright yellow breast, white under the neck and a black headband. Sam was sitting on the back patio and saw a Coatimundi scamper by! Of course, there were Iguanas hanging round the pool.

Tomorrow we head for the Monteverde "Cloud Forest".

Note: Some comments about this place:

  • The pool is awesome, the food is great, the beach is spectacular
  • The room is HUGE but poorly equipped - no reading lights, no tissues, no clock, 
  • The property is very hard to get  around due to steep sidewalks, no handrails, 
  • Getting down to the beach can be a real problem for some folks 
  • I would be curious to know about Collett's decision to pick this property for our bus full of old people. Maybe it only nice place around? 
  • So, for a group of seniors I can't give it a very good review,



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Travel Day Saturday, Nov 1, 2019

We left home about 9:00 and flew uneventfully to San Jose, Costa Rica, through Dallas/Fort Worth. We arrived about 9:00 PM and were met by...